Hello from the tropics!
I haven’t added to my Life Lately series, so maybe this is the right time for an update. I feel like there’s just a lot to cover. There’s too much going on in my life that I would probably be confused as I write it, and I wouldn’t want the readers to be just as confused as I am. So this update would be just random snippets of what’s happening here and there, and I hope somewhere, someone can relate to this too.
Rain is Coming
Finally! Just when I feel like I’m so done with this summer heat, the rainy season will be officially announced come first week of June. Which is this week. You don’t know how much we need the rain and a little chill in the air. Sometimes, I get too lazy to go out because it’s so hot, I just want to stay home and not wear pants and take three-hour showers.
Even my uncle’s dog is done with the heat.
We took my mom out for Mother’s Day. She’s already the Queen, but even queens deserve extra love and attention on a particular day.
Since I had different plans for Mother’s Day, we went with an unplanned lunch celebration at the mall. Imagine: no reservations, no particular restaurant in mind, family barging into a very busy mall with the intention (and determination) of getting a table somewhere. After three restaurant fails and twenty minutes of waiting, we finally snagged a table at Bulgogi Brothers, a Korean restaurant that served the usual pork barbecue, spicy rice cakes, japchae, steak, bibimbap, kimchi stew, all those delicious Korean dishes that’s so popular in the recent years.
I cooked dinner at home, something a little fancy as well, then made S’mores for dessert. As for the toasting of marshmallows, we had to improvise because we don’t have a firepit in the backyard for that authentic S’mores feel. Heh. But first attempt at S’mores is a success and everyone was happy.
Me, Myself and I
I think I’ve said it so many times in my old posts, but anxiety and depression has been my companion for many, many months now. I’m trying to battle with it, hoping that I can still try to overcome it and make myself deal with it without having to go through a professional. I don’t like the idea of depending on meds just to “balance” things out, but sometimes I also wonder if meds will make it all better. I try to keep track of my moods because they’re very, very unpredictable lately. I used to think that if I’m very, very happy one minute, something bad will always come next. It keeps me from feeling genuinely happy for a long time, and it’s not just because I keep entertaining the thought. It’s very difficult to keep them away, to be honest, but I’m trying my hardest to not go down the rabbit hole and stay lost. My moods are either very happy or very sad, all at extreme ends of the emotional spectrum. In between are feelings of doubt, anger, and everything else in between.
Anyway, I’m still going through rough times but as always, everything will be okay.
I keep a list of things that make me happy. Not because I need blog content (haha what) but because it’s a way for me to remember that despite rough patches, there are more things to be happy about and a lot to be grateful for.
- The smell of freshly laundered sheets. The fabric softener’s scent makes me want to stay in bed longer (oops…is this a bad thing orrr).
- Maroon 5’s “Wait” and “Girls Like You” has been an earworm for days now.
- I think I’ve seen every video released by Dr. Rahim Salehmohamed. I’m so addicted to how he works with patients and how he explains stuff to them in a very professional manner. He’s also funny, which probably makes the experience a little less stressful. If I didn’t live halfway across the world, I would have my neck cracked and my spine aligned by Dr. Rahim.
- Being able to recreate a recipe I watched on Judy Anne’s Kitchen. So far, the tinapa rolls are my favorite.
- My new airconditioning unit. Yethhhh.
- Figuring out instructions to a DIY project.
- On the same note…Pinterest. I spend hours on Pinterest, just finding mood boards and projects for inspiration.
- Grocery shopping. Okay, listen. Every adult needs to be able to figure out the aisles at the grocery store and find what they need. It’s an accomplishment, truly. I’m the type of person who would go through every aisle in the store even if I have nothing to get from there. My mild obsessive-compulsive brain will not be happy about the imbalance if I skip aisles. #excusesexcuses
- Food flatlays. There is nothing more perfect than a pretty food flatlay that makes you want to pick one up and scarf it down immediately.
- Body massages and nail spa treatments. Heaven.
- I’ve had Coco Fresh Tea and Juice twice this week. My favorite is the 3 Buddies milk tea flavor (milk tea with pearl, pudding, and grass jelly). I tried the Lemon Yakult Slushie and it was good, but I prefer Happy Lemon’s.
I’ve been more productive since my last post but I’m not going to nitpick each accomplishment or trial and write about them. Life has basically been about living the most out of what I have, and learning that there are far worse things in this world than to dwell on what I cannot control. Hopefully, June will be more productive than April and May. I’m looking forward to more blessings (for reasons) and I’m just happy that I’m still alive and breathing.
Happy weekend, folks. ❤